Version 2.68 Released with Actual New Features

Unlike the last few versions of rss2email that have trickled out, I finally got around to adding a few new oft-requested features! Version 2.68 of rss2email is now available for both Linux and Windows.

Changes from the previous version:

• Added ability to pause/resume checking of individual feeds through pause and unpause commands
  • Added ability to import and export OPML feed lists through importopml and exportopml commands

Complete list in the official CHANGELOG.

Pause/Unpause

Through r2e pause n where n is a feed number, you can temporarily suspend checking that feed for new content. To start checking it again, simply run r2e unpause n. When you r2e list, an asterisk indicates that the feed is currently unpaused and active.

OMPL Import/Export

OPML is an XML format commonly used to exchange a list of RSS feeds between applications. r2e opmlexport > filename will give you a file that you can use to import your list of feeds into another application. If you’ve exported feeds from another application into a file, r2e opmlimport filename will add those feeds to your rss2email feed list.

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

17 Responses to “Version 2.68 Released with Actual New Features”

1. anon says:

The link to the Linux version is dead.

2. D’oh! Fixed now for both Windows and Linux.

3. Morten says:

Nice work on keeping this alive. :)

The download page still lists 2.67 as the latest version, you might want to fix that. :)

4. Stan says:

Hi,

I like RSS2email very much.
    However it seems that I have found a feed that doesn’t work:

What is your opinion about this. If it realy doesn’t work can you (how can I?) fix this?

Thanks, Stan

5. Stan says:

Update on my previous post:

I works :-)
    The problem was that I expected that all the old feeds (more that 40) would also be reteived but that didn’t happen.
    I find this strange because there is no setting in config.py for this (I didn’t find it) nor did I use the –no-send option when I ran: ” r2e run “.

Can you explain this for me?

6. Stan says:

Since I have updated r2e it can not find the feeds.dat file when I use it in crontab, nor when I start it manually from the wrong folder. In the last case the error message is:

Feedfile “feeds.dat” does not exist. If you’re using r2e for the first time, you
    have to run ‘r2e new’ first.

I had to write a bashscript to make it work. Now the bashscript is run from cron.

The script:

#! /bin/bash
    cd /home/stan/.rss2email
    /usr/share/rss2email/r2e run >> /home/stan/rss2email.log

I would expect that if I run as user stan “r2e run” the program knows where to look for feeds.dat: the .rss2email folder

Am I missing something?

7. Stan:

r2e is itself a simple script that assumes the current directory contains the feeds.dat file.

What might be simpler for cron is:
    python /usr/share/rss2email/rss2email.py /home/stan/.rss2email/feeds.dat run

8. Stan says:

Update on my October 20, 2010 at 1:56 am post:

The feact that I was looking in the webmail and I have also a POPmail client running explains the issue :-)
    Just in the short time between running “r2e run” and checking the webmail the POPmail client had don it’s houly check and retreived the email. What a conicidence :-)

9. Jacob Franzén says:

Hi,

i have rss2email on a windows machine, and it´s set to fetch a couple of feeds from yahoo pipes.
    Now everything is fine when i fetch them for the first time, but when i want to updates, nothing happens.. until i do a r2e reset, the a run..and new things start coming into my mailbox.

I have built a pipe from another source so maybe something is screwed up i that configuration? What does rss2email look for in a rss feed to determine if the post is new, and what does it compare it to?

Keep up the good work, i really like rss2email!

Kr/ Jacob from Sweden

10. Jacob,

I assume that you are running rss2email again later after the first run? It doesn’t run automatically on its own.

If you are running rss2email periodically, it will detect new items and email them. The simplest thing to do is save the initial output of the pipe and then compare it to the ouput later to see if anything new is appearing in the feed itself.

11. Hi again,

i fixed it. It was a output problem in my pipes configuration, so nothing wrong with the program.
    Another thing i discovered is that rss2email converts “I don’t give…” to “I don&apost give…” The “‘” sign seems to be a problem. Is there any way around this?

Thanks/ Jacob from Sweden.

12. Jacob: Can you tell me what feed is doing that?

13. VoIP says:

Followed Ben’s instructions to install on CentOS for v2.66 and and apply to the v2.68 and get a syntax error when trying to add an new email or rss:
    >>File “rss2email.py”, line 759
    active = ‘[*]‘ if f.active else ‘[ ]‘
    ^
    >>SyntaxError: invalid syntax

The 2.66 version doesn’t give any errors when adding emails or rss.

CentOS 5.3 Python 2.4.3. Should I upgrade python?

14. The next version of rss2email should fix that, so maybe stick with v2.66 until it’s out or upgrade Python. Python v2.4.x is 4 years old at this point.

15. VoIP Tech says:

Thanks will give it a shot, figured it was my Python version

-Damian

16. Ray Van Dolson says:

I know it’s no fun to get tied to an old version of Python, but for those of us running CentOS 5 (which will be supported through 2014 :), Python 2.4.3 will be continue to be relevant.

The EPEL maintainer for rss2email will have to do a little legwork to remove any code optimized for Python > 2.4 otherwise.

17. Thanks for the explanation. I’ll keep that in mind going forward.